The Blessing and the Curse of the Geilhufe Stomach

It's crazy how long you have to wait for your first doctors appointment. Luckily we had a trip to Kauai for my birthday that helped pass the time, then one more week back at work before we finally had our first appointment in early October. It's clear I've been blessed with the 'Geilhufe stomach' as I've felt completely normal. No nausea, no morning sickness, no fatigue, no food aversions, normal appetite, just like my older sister. The only potential sign that something was off was that I couldn't drink the same amount of liquid at night without having to wake up early to go to the bathroom. Oh, and I think I did nap with Dave one afternoon which never happens.

To all of you who would like to tell me to shut up right now, I'm not bragging. What I don't think people realize is that not having any signs or symptoms is really scary. You have no idea what's going on and although it's no use worrying, by the time I walked into the doctors office that afternoon, I was the most anxious I've ever been in my life. Forget a speech in front of the my combined 6th grade class of 70 kids, or giving a presentation to executives at work; this was totally different. When the nurse went to take my blood pressure, Dave joked, 'I don't think you'll get an accurate reading right now.' Luckily my doctor understood and cut out the small talk, or really any talk, and immediately did the ultrasound. Relieved doesn't even begin to capture how Dave and I felt when she said, 'everything looks great.' Still, it was early, about 9 1/2 weeks, so we weren't in the clear yet.

With no changes in my symptoms and still no sign of a bump, I was still nervous for the next appointment at 13 weeks, but overall feeling so much better than that initial check-up. Poor Dave got minorly side-swiped on his way to pick me up for the appointment, but luckily the doctor was running late and he made it just in time to hear the heartbeat for the first time. Again, everything looked great. We couldn't be more thrilled. Not to mention I had conveniently scheduled the appointment on the same day as a monthly full moon hike to a lighthouse just north of the Golden Gate Bridge, something I knew Dave would never be able to make it to on a weeknight otherwise.

We still knew we wanted to keep the news to ourselves for a bit longer. A few days later we were headed into the Perinatal center for the routine first trimester testing and the full ultrasound so we wanted to make sure everything was okay there first.

No comments