Week 37 - Florida Con't

Week 37! They've officially been here for longer than I was pregnant with them. Crazy.

Since my last post, the week started with several cold/rainy days so we found some good indoor activities to do. I've never been to MyGym at home, but found one in the area, and it was a blast! Dave's mom met us and we had so much fun playing with the babies. The teachers bring out new activities (different swings, cars to ride, ball pit, etc), every few minutes for the hour-long session. I was waiting until they were really crawling around to look into this at home, but now will be the perfect time to join. 

After the class, we headed to Steak 'n Shake. We've now started feeding them solids three times a day -- they seemed interested whenever we were eating lunch so after feeding them off of our plates, I started incorporating in the meal for them each day. They didn't get any of our burger and fries though, I brought along a puree I mixed up for them.

The next day we headed to the Children's Museum. I never expect too much from these places as far as entertaining babies, but once again, I was pleasantly surprised. Especially having 3 adults, it's much easier than when I try taking them to the Exploratorium by myself. This way they can really check everything out and I don't need to give them turns, switching them out of the stroller. We had fun by the climbing wall, in this great padded pit with cars and blocks (Dave wanted to get something similar for our place...); they had a lot to offer!

It finally warmed up enough for a beach day, yay! I had been warned that babies and the beach don't always mix well, but we were taking out chances. Dave got our big umbrella and beach blanket set up, with a few buckets and shovels and we all went out to the beach. I told Dave I'd be back out in about 15 minutes as I was going to pump for a bit. Well, not 5 minutes later Dave comes running in, a baby in each arm, shouting, 'they're eating sand! They're gonna choke on a shell!' Clearly this was not a one-man job. We've had a few beach days since and it's hardly 'a day at the beach'. Dave actually brought his headphone and phone out to the beach the first day, like he was going to sit back and relax while the babies played :) Well, we try to keep the pacis in so they don't put sand in their mouth, but sand still gets EVERYWHERE. We can make it about an hour and a half out there. George loves the water, would crawl right in, William is really most interested in eating watermelon or cantaloupe out of the mesh feeder my mom got me. We didn't think we'd be able to manage getting any photos with all the craziness of making sure they're not eating (too much) sand, but Dave's mom came over to help several days while Dave was sick in bed and she managed to get some!

Dave still wasn't feeling 100% on Monday, so I took the babies over to Dave's parents' condo so we could go swimming, it was another great day. All the ladies love to stop and see the babies.

Tuesday was the big day -- driving to Orlando! I think the thing Dave was most looking-forward to about becoming a dad was taking the babies to Disneyland/Disneyworld. I warned him that it would probably be a good 4 years before we'd be able to take them and have them get something out of it. We briefly discussed booking a trip to go on the end of the trip to Florida, but decided not to. Well, last weekend, Dave started looking into it again, so at the last minute, we decided to go for it. The drive was pretty good, it was about 3.5 hours from the beach house so we left in time for their morning nap on Tuesday. They slept okay and William needed some definite entertaining, but we had a fun stop at Cracker Barrel for lunch.

The resort had an awesome pool, with a super-shallow area with a bunch of water fountains to play in. Luckily it stopped raining in time for us to get in the pool for a bit before heading in for their afternoon nap.

The cribs were ideal for George to perfect his new trick -- pulling himself up in the crib. This didn't lead to great sleep as he couldn't figure out how to get back down. So each bedtime would be a 20-minute game of him standing up until he started wimpering to get down, I'd go in, help him down, then he'd do it again. Eventually he'd stop. He was clearly impressed with his new trick though, when I would peak in, he'd bounce up and down, smiling and laughing. I caught one photo of him in the act.

Wednesday we woke up, went for a walk around the resort and headed to their restaurant for breakfast. The babies are eating so much in the mornings now. I just started them on yogurt so do a big bowl of yogurt with baby oatmeal sprinkled in and then mix in some fruit - peaches, mango, pear, apple, banana, etc. They also got tastes of pancakes, grits, pineapple, cantaloupe and honeydew melon. We made quite a mess, but they ate great!

We put them down for their morning nap and after feeding them a bottle when they woke up, we headed over to the park. We weren't staying on-property, but were about a 10-minute drive away. It wasn't busy, but you still have to park, walk 5 minutes, take the monorail, buy your tickets and eventually get into the park. We headed to a kiosk to get our fast passes for the day, which at first we thought was going to be a debacle, but after the initial wait, worked out really well. We were only planning on being at the park until their afternoon nap, so about 4 hours max. It turned out to be so much fun though, we went on It's a Small World, Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean, Peter Pan and Dumbo, and got to meet Mickey before leaving the park. The babies did great, and we lucked out and had fast passes for any of the rides that had longer waits than 10 minutes. I think the babies liked It's a Small World best.

Dave and I were even able to get a snack while they took a short nap in the stroller. We had a waffle sandwich, yum!

So was it worth it? I think everything worked out great, but we had our expectations set -- we knew how much tickets were and knew we were going to be there just a few hours. We had a lot of fun and it was nice to change things up and get out of Naples for a few days, so I think we're both glad we went. It will be so fun to go back when they're a bit older though.

We drove back from Orlando yesterday, but wanted them to have their long afternoon nap in the car, so we didn't want to leave until 2 or so. Dave has been so lucky and hasn't had to do much work while on leave, but he had a call yesterday that he had to take. Unfortunately it was just 55 degrees yesterday so I knew I needed to find something to door indoors that would let the babies get some energy out before the car ride. We decided to head over to to the Orlando Science Center. It didn't have much for babies, but there was one area with foam blocks that they enjoyed playing in for a bit. It's definitely
hard now with George pulling up everywhere. I want to give him the space to fall and I know I can't always be there to catch him, but this trip has been hard because we're not in our own 'safe zone'. For example, there was a bit rock next to this fire hydrant. I had to make sure he would bail into that, while also dealing with William. I'm not sure what I'll do when they're both pulling up, walking, etc. Ahhh!!!

After the museum, we picked up Dad and headed to Perkin's for lunch before hitting the road. I didn't have any purees mixed up for them, so I brought some pouches -- George can suck 4oz down in about 3 minutes... They were great at the restaurant and gave a balloon Minnie for them to play with, George loved it!

After some serious protesting from William, both ended up taking a 2.5 hour nap on the ride home so our plan worked out well. Then Dave's parents came over with some homemade chili and to help with bedtime.

A busy, but great week. It feels like we've been gone for a while, but now we have just one week left. Looks like the weather won't be getting super-nice (high 70s) until we leave, but hopefully we'll get some nice days.

No comments