11 Months Old

Last week was such a busy week, but we had such great weather that I tried to get them outside as much as possible. My Dad finally got to see the babies during the day on Monday -- he usually stops by on his way home from watching Tenzing and Crusoe, but at 6pm, they're never in a great mood and I so wanted him to see them at a better time of day. He was meeting my uncle to work on the boat later that day, so it worked out perfectly when he came at 10:30, we got the babies ready and walked down to the Ferry Building park. We played for a while and luckily they really were in a good mood -- I was so worried they'd be off and he'd think that was their 'normal' demeanor. Then we headed to the Ferry Building where I got an amazing slow-roasted pork sandwich, followed up by a scoop of Secret Breakfast from Humphry Slocombe which finally opened! We had a really nice time together.

Tuesday was back to the Ferry Building, this time I got a Pastrami burger from Wise Sons. I brought lunch for the boys but they got my pickles (William can literally down his in less than a minute) and they loved the fresh strawberries. Tuesday night I had a quick Junior League meeting but Dave and I got to watch a Homeland before he left for Mexico City for work the next day.

Luckily the boys were good to me, since Dave wasn't here to do the morning routine, and made it until close to 7am. I was going to try a new music class on Wednesday but the weather was too nice so I changed the plan and we just headed to the park instead. We made it to our normal music class the next day -- the boys just LOVE the piano.

 They also can't keep their hands off Teacher Rachel's guitar.

Friday was a hectic day. My friend and I decided last minute to go to the Junior League Fashion Show luncheon -- we were considering going to the gala, but with both of our husbands out of town until Friday, we held off too long and settled on the more casual lunch. Though it was a lot of coordinating -- my mom came 10-12:30 before catching a flight to Chicago, Jessica came at 12:30, and I had to manage getting ready with them taking just a 30 minute nap, but in the end it worked out and I was out the door by 10:45. Erin and I had a great time, nothing like Champagne at 11am!

I got three swims in this week, which was great with the nice weather. Then Friday night we finally did an adults-only dinner out with my brother and Elizabeth. We had a great time and the food was so tasty. Poor Jessica had a long day as we weren't home until 11:30.

Saturday, Dave was on duty as I had the Spring Movie Event for Junior League at SFCAPC. Sunday we went to church and then got something to eat. Everyone took naps that afternoon, even mom, which rarely happens! We took them to the park that afternoon and even brought their cart so they could push it all over. Of course it was a hot item with all the other kids too.

Mar 12: G stands unassisted
Mar 13: G's first steps
Mar 19: W can point
Mar 20: W says 'caw' for bird (like the bird in one of our books says), G waved goodbye to me

EAT: I'm so thrilled with how they're eating, but still a bit worried that one day they're just going to decide they don't like half of what I'm offering. I've highlighted a lot of what they're having in other posts and I'm curious to find out from the pediatrician how much they *should* be eating, but it seems to be the right amount. They both have their pincer grip down and have for the last 3 weeks or so which makes eating all these finger foods much easier.

They both love cheese, otherwise George will go for the carbs first, or the meat/eggs, William will finish all his fruit first. Their typical breakfast was just featured; for lunch we're often on the go, but I'll bring along a string cheese and a vegetable and then usually they'll get their meat/carbs from what I'm having. It's getting to the point where I need to order them their own meal though as the three of us sharing doesn't leave enough for me :). It's nice to have two little ones to share a smaller portion though.

I need to do a post on their typical dinners, but they're eating more and more of what we're having, but I'm still doing a fair amount of prep just for them as there are certain things that are easier for them to handle. I'm doing a lot of patties, balls (meatballs, veggie balls, etc.) and pita/quesadilla stuffed with veggies.

One thing they don't like that goes along with eating is wearing their bibs. For the past week or so, they like to pull them off and we haven't really figured out how to deal with this yet.

I'm still doing the breastfeeding/pumping thing, but will start weaning around their birthday. William's taking about 24oz a day which has allowed me to build a mini-stockpile in the freezer.

I hate to do this to them again, but after changing my sixth poop of the day and it's only 2pm, I feel I must mention it. This is seriously like the newborn days. Sure, they're eating a ton, but we seriously are going through more diapers than we did the first month, or at least it seems. Especially since their new thing is to wait until they've just been changed, and then poop. For the past few days, there have been multiple naps/bedtimes, where we put them down, they won't go to sleep, I open the door to the room only to be welcome by the unpleasant aroma and get to change them. again. This happened with both of them last night. And let's just say the aromas after that burrito feast yesterday were gnarly.

Current schedule:
5:40am - mom pumps
7am - wake up, 6oz bottle for William
7:30 - G nurse
7:45 - breakfast
9am - nap (40 mins to 1hr on avg)
10am - G nurse, 3oz bottle for W
12pm - lunch
1:30 - G nurse, 5oz bottle for W
2-4pm - nap
4pm - G nurse, 3oz bottle for W
6pm - dinner
6:45pm - G nurse + 6oz bottle, 7oz bottle for W
8, 9:30pm - mom pumps

Typical for W - on his back, sprawled out
SLEEP: They've actually done a lot better the last month; I think the time change worked to our advantage. We had to play around with the schedule for the first few days, but they're consistently sleeping in longer now. For a while there, they were waking up at 6ish, or sometimes even before. They would go back to sleep, but now, there might be some movement around 6:20 or 6:30, but then they settle in again until close to 7am. They're taking a bit longer to fall asleep most nights; plenty of paci exchanges and chatting going on, but it's rare that any crying is involved, so generally when they're put in their crib at 7pm, we're 'off-duty'. There definitely are still the random wake ups in the night where we need to replace a paci, but these are rare enough, and neither Dave nor I have any problem falling back asleep right away.

G, always on his tummy, butt up in the air
Naps. The morning nap still varies; sometimes it's just 40 minutes, others it's as long as an hour and a half (but that's pretty rare, and always only one baby). The hard part with naps is that 75% of the time, they don't wake up at the same time. I generally try to sneak one out (if they've slept long enough that it's okay for them to get up) and let the other one rest. George has been a champion napper in the afternoons though; half of last week he slept almost 3 hours. William, on the other hand, has not been doing great in the afternoons. They both consistently go down about 2:10 (get the in crib right at 2pm), but almost like clockwork, William will wake up screaming at 3:30. Most of the time, I'm able to put on the blowdryer white noise and he'll go back to sleep and almost all the time, George isn't disturbed, but even when William does wake up, even if he makes it until 4pm, he's been pretty grumpy. It seems like he needs to sleep longer and I can't figure out why he keeps waking up at that time, especially since he wakes up so upset.
PLAY: It does keep getting better and better in this category. W&G are playing more and more together, whether it's sitting next to each other in a pile of books (after working together to take all the books off the shelf), pushing the cart together, pushing doors or sneaking to 'ring' the wine glasses hanging from our wine cabinet. I've started trying some discipline so I crouch down and say a firm 'no, we don't touch the glasses' while shaking my pointer finger. Well, they just laugh and imitate me, shaking their fingers back at me!

Their absolute favorite thing at the moment is playing with doors. We have French doors that separate the dining room from the living room and they could spend all day pushing those doors open and closed, using the door like a walker. They still love the cart, and have figured how to pull it away from the wall and start pushing it again.

They also love playing with anything that has buttons or plays music. George's favorite book at the moment is The Wheels on the Bus, which has a button that plays the tune of the song. He pushes it with his middle finger. After their obsession with the piano at music class, Dave got them a little toy piano that's similar to the activity table and they love that too.

They enjoy reading books and will actually sit and listen. They especially love books where they can touch different textures.

They still love bathtime, especially when Daddy does it complete with his 'Splish Splash' routine. Their new favorite is brushing their teeth with their toothbrushes, for a few weeks, this really helped with the squirmer and the screecher while getting them dressed for bed. William doesn't really screech anymore, but George will always be squirmy.

Something new this month is that we've been playing in their room a lot more. Now we can spend upwards of 45 minutes in there as they love to cruise around behind their cribs (which we pull out from the wall in an attempt to get them to stop pulling back the shades), back into the closet, and of course, using the door as a walking, pulling it open and shut. They also love using their diaper bin as a walker as it slides across the floor pretty easily. Oh, and collecting all the pacis from their table.

A couple in the one hand
One in the mouth

Got them all!

Now let's go on an adventure!

When we go to the park, William enjoys cruising around, his preferred mode of transportation, cruising over anything, and anyone, in his way (including bigger kids, parents' legs, etc). George continues to put leaves, sticks and sand in his mouth and will find the tiniest spec of something, get it on his finger, examine it, and then eat it. William likes peek-a-boo through the holes at the park and loves the swings. They seem so grown up now; George can ride the rocker by himself and William is there pushing kids around on the merry-go-round. Crazy.

Both have been a bit clingy this month. If William sees Daddy leave for work in the morning, he crawls after him and collapses his head on the floor and cries. It was hard for me to be home when the nanny was here, as if I walked through the room, they'd both start whining to be with me, but with Jessica here now, they've both gotten a lot better at this.

W&G are both really vocal, George especially has discovered how to make sounds by patting his hand to his open mouth, flicking his fingers on his lips, etc. Though we hear all the typical syllables, I'm still not convinced that either is saying much in regards to their surroundings. But I am known to be tough on these subjective 'firsts'.

MOM: This has been a really good month. I feel like I have it under control, though I do feel like it's the calm before the (walking) storm. The boys are fun and they're playing together which allows me to get a few things done. I also feel like I'm in a good spot with stuff for me, doing a lot with Junior League, now helping Travelzoo with a project and I'll be taking over as moderator of the New and Expectant Twin Moms meetings starting in April. It's a good balance between baby stuff and everything else. In addition to their birthday party planning, the other big project I'll be working on this month is weaning. Though I debated a bit about continuing breast-feeding George, after talking to the doctor, I decided I don't need to. There doesn't appear to be any health benefit and as far as bonding goes, George doesn't necessarily prefer nursing to the bottle so I don't think it will be a tough transition. It's so hard, after so many month of worrying about, and trying to boost, my supply, that now I'm going to strategically reduce my supply. I haven't started yet, as I want them both to make it to a year with just the breast milk, but in a week or two, I'll start dropping a feed and using frozen milk as needed. It's a bit surreal -- all the time spent nursing and pumping is coming to an end, which is definitely a good thing, but it's a little hard to imagine I'll be done with it. I definitely am looking forward to a bit more freedom and being able to go out for longer stretches of time -- not to mention not waking up at 5:40am to pump!

To my boys:
There was the best moment yesterday when I was sitting on the floor nursing George, William was drinking his bottle next to us, but mostly squirming, when William started climbing on George, burying his head in him and you both just started laughing, and kept laughing. These are the moments when I'm beyond thrilled that I got two of you at the same time.

Listening to you in your beds is also one of my favorite times. You stand where your cribs touch and chit chat, steal pacis, pull the shades together and purposely wake the other one up so you have a buddy to hang out with. I've made it a habit of watching you sleep for a minute before I go to bed myself. I know you'll never be this little again and it's a peaceful way to end the night.

Luis. You did it, you took your first steps! I realize I should be challenging you more because Jessica told me she saw you standing unassisted, then I put you out in front of me and you took a few steps before stumbling into me. I couldn't believe it! You still mostly cruise and crawl, but when we have you do your walking, you can now do 8 or 9 steps. You are so active these days it's crazy. All over the place, I can hardly nurse you before bedtime anymore; you're just too antsy. And so big! Every time I lift you, I tell you what a big boy you are; you feel like a ton of bricks. It makes sense though. You eat like nobody's business. You're over avocados, but besides that, I can't think of one thing this last month that you turned down. I will have just taken you out of your high chair from breakfast, when I come sit down in the living room with my bowl of cantaloupe (of which you've just had some) and you're already cruising over to me begging for more. The burrito day was the best of all. I couldn't stop laughing at how you went to town on that thing. I don't blame you though, Sisig makes a mean burrito. You're still very detailed-oriented and like to figure things out. You still have such a sweet temperament; you don't even complain when you get your nose cleaned out, how is that possible?? In fact, you giggled last time we did it! What I noticed this month is that you're becoming a bit of a joker. I can already see the wheels turning in your head and you laugh when you do something you know you shouldn't. My biggest challenge with you is getting your dressed/changing your diaper. You are still the squirmiest worm ever! You are so independent, but I don't mind when I get a couple bangs on my bedroom door in the morning when you're ready to eat; you're still my patient boy who waits a good 30 minutes at least to eat in the morning. It makes me a little sad to see how big you're getting, but there's nothing better than witnessing you reach major milestones.

William. Your hair is getting out of control, but it's the cutest thing ever. You will be getting your first haircut before your first birthday. Like your brother, you are getting more and more active every day, but you are one serious cruiser. You are so much more independent than you used to be, cruising down the hallway, into the dining room to push the stools, even behind the cribs in your bedroom. You love music and definitely have Daddy's moves (thank God!). You still shake your body when certain music plays and absolutely love the piano at music class. You're still demanding in certain ways (you MUST eat immediately in the morning, you whine to get out of the stroller the SECOND we enter the door), but you've evolved into the sweetest little boy. You love to cuddle, especially with Daddy, and especially when it involves snuggling on the couch together while watching a Baby Einstein. You know what you want and will only eat just how much you want, not a drop more, of your bottle. You have had some trouble with your naps, waking up really sad at the same time each afternoon, but I'm starting to wonder if you realize you get that time to yourself with Mommy so you're doing it on purpose. While you may not throw down the volume of food your brother does, I am so proud of what a good eater you are. You have come a million miles from the early days, and for that, I'm so grateful. Such a change from when you first started solids, or even from a month ago, when you would let food you didn't want to eat roll back out of your month. Now you really eat pretty much everything. As always, you're so vocal and can't wait to hear your little voice emerge with more words. You're using your hands more and love to point to things. My favorite is when you get really excited about something -- you have a big smile on your face and your arms and legs go crazy (this usually happens when you're laying down). William, you may have given me a tough time in the beginning, but you are so much fun to be with and I'm just so grateful for that. You're my little gentleman, crossed feet and all.

No comments